Giant Centipede eats mouse

Found this via one of my early morning web-searches for all thing weird and bizare. It’s a ‘pet’ Giant Centipede, and it is killing and eating a mouse! But a word of Warning, it’s not for the faint-hearted.

Scolopendra gigantea, commonly identified as the ‘Peruvian giant yellowleg centipede’ or ‘Amazonian giant centipede’, is the world’s largest representative of scolopendras which can reach lengths of up to 26 cm. The species inhabits the North and West regions of South America and the islands of Trinidad and Jamaica. It feeds on lizards, frogs and birds, and have been known to feed on mice.

The centipede has modified claws called forcipules which curve around its head and can deliver venom into its prey to assist in immobilizing it. The venom is toxic to humans; (the poison contains acetylcholine, histamine, and serotonin) and causes a local sharp pain (similar to a hornet-sting), and severe swelling, chills, fever, and weakness.

S. gigantea is a popular pet among arthropod fanatics – however, the centipede should not be handled without protective equipment given that even a trace of the venom coming in contact with skin can cause a reaction. The condition of having been poisoned by the venom of a centipede in this genus is called scolopendrism.

Alternative link: if movie fails to load!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8CL2hetqpfg.
Source: YouTube and Wikipedia.

advertisements

Related Posts

About The Author

Add Comment