John Alva Keel (born Alva John Kiehle) the Fortean author and professional journalist has died aged 79.
John Keel was arguably one of the most widely read and influential ufologists since the early 1970s. Although his own thoughts about UFOs and associated anomalous phenomena have gradually evolved since the mid 1960s, Keel remains one of ufology’s most original and controversial researchers. It was Keel’s second book, UFOs: Operation Trojan Horse (1970), that alerted the general public that many aspects of contemporary UFO reports, including humanoid encounters, often paralleled certain ancient folklore and religious encounters. Keel also argues that there is a direct relationship between UFOs and psychic phenomena. He says he does not call himself a ufologist and prefers the term Fortean which encompasses a wide range of paranormal subjects.
Books by John keel
- Jadoo (1957)
- UFOs: Operation Trojan Horse (1970)
- Strange Creatures From Time and Space (1970)
- Our Haunted Planet (1971)
- The Flying Saucer Subculture (1973)
- The Mothman Prophecies (1975)
- The Eighth Tower (1975)
- Disneyland of the Gods (1988)
- The Complete Guide to Mysterious Beings (1994)
(revised version of Strange Creatures from Time and Space)
- The Best of John Keel (Paperback 2006)
(Collection of Keel’s Fate Magazine articles)